Sunday, February 12, 2017

Wine & Cheese Pairing #1

Wine Tasting w/ Cheese #1

The first pairing of wine I did was a white wine with mozzarella, and this specific wine I chose was Sauvignon Blanc. This bottle was Chateau Souverain, 2015 from California (13.3% alc./vol). After my initial sniff & swirl I got an tannic smell and the taste of pears & oak. After having a drink with the mozzarella, the wine tasted sweet because the cheese coated the acidic taste in my mouth.

The second pairing I did was a white zinfandel with Swiss cheese. This rose wine is made by Liberty Creek in California. After doing the initial sniff & swirl the smells I received were strawberry, buttery, vanilla and rosy. The Swiss complimented the wine very well. The cheese is simple in taste and was felt on the base & back of my tongue, while the sweetness of the white zin was felt on the tip. The combination of these flavors illuminated my mouth and has became my favorite pairing so far.

The last pairing I experimented with was Merlot with smoked Gouda. This bottle of Merlot was Buena Vista, Vinicultural Society made in Sonoma, 2012. The smells I obtained from a sniff & swirl was tannic, boysenberry, plum, and dry with also a taste of dry, and tannic. The cheese coated my mouth so it masked the tannic taste of the Merlot.The gouda had a rich and salty taste and complimented the dryness of the Merlot.

No comments:

Post a Comment